Friday, August 12, 2016

Getting to Copenhagen

Just a short post today. Sorry I'm a tad behind, but I wanted to get something up, since two Bed Blogs in a row make me look like a lush.

After a lovely couple of days in Aarhus visiting with the Djernes' and thoroughly confusing Mia Belle and Noah Emil with our English and the occasional incredibly bewildering "Nej" (No, in Danish, pronounced "nai" sort of), we caught a ride into Copenhagen with Maria early Wednesday morning. Jay and I hung out in the train station while he did some work until close to lunch when we went wandering. We enjoyed popping into a few stores before we started to get too hungry for any more dilly-dallying. We went to a organic hotdog stand (yummy) and then continued our walk through the shopping area of downtown Copenhagen (sorry, don't remember what it's called, and you wouldn't know how to pronounce it anyway). After that we headed past the Norreport (sorry, I can't figure out how to do special characters here, that "o" is supposed to have a slash through it) train station to Torvehallerne. Jay and I have endless amounts of fun trying to pronounce Danish words. They look weird to and English speaker, but they sound even weirder. Our general approach to Torvehallerne is to say "Torva..*mumble mumble mumble*" and I swear that gets us closer to the actual pronunciation than if we were to try and say it as written. Any way Torvamphmmn is an indoor market with lots of very cool little food stalls. We found some gluten free bread and continued on to Naturbageriet, which has a large selection of gluten free baked goods. They were all dairy free. You would have thought the man told me that Christmas came early. I picked out a cookie and promised we'd be back. Then we walked across the canal to Norrebro to stop at "Nicecream" and get some gluten-free vegan ice cream sandwiches. They were awesome! 
A not-very-good selfie with our "nicecream"
We slowly wandered back to the train station, stopping in at an impressive board game store, and generally people watching. At one point we walked by a flea market, and saw something too bizarre not to share:
I believe it's a coat rack. Made from deer feet.

I was getting pretty tired by then, so we hung out in a coffee shop next to the train station until it was time to meet up with Maria again. She brought us to Jakob's uncles' house just outside the city. We're staying with  them for a couple nights before we move to an AirBnb in the city for our last night in Copenhagen. Our hosts, Han Solo and Leiah - Okay, fine, Hans Ole and Laila, in the process of butchering the pronunciation we noticed the similarity and couldn't help ourselves - cooked us a wonderful dinner and then we watch Denmark's handball team in the Olympics until it was time for bed. Actually, Jay watched handball. I brought my Nook (ereader) with me so that I could hang out in the same room as everybody, but read instead. That was when we discovered just how unique Luna, their dog, is.

Luna loves electronics. Unlike many dogs, she will watch a screen and seems to at least partially comprehend what she's seeing. Apparently she'll even touch the screen with her nose to try and make things happen. Unfortunately she was desperately disappointed by my Nook, which didn't have any interesting moving shapes, but that didn't stop her from patiently watching the screen, from my lap, for the entire 45 minutes that I sat up there reading. It was incredibly amusing and I didn't mind it at all. It was kind of like having a cat in my lap. She's a very cool little dog and yet another example of how great small dogs can be.
At one point we took pity on her and got out Jay's phone so that we could show her videos of our bunnies. She liked that. But then it was back to patiently watching my Nook to see if anything would happen. Eventually I retreated to bed and Jay followed about an hour later. 
Luna, avidly reading a Laurie King book with me

Luna, helping Jay work.

Friday morning, we woke up and had what felt like a very European breakfast. I had my gluten free bread, Jay had the normal stuff, with honey. I also had some goat cheese that Maria and Jakob had gotten for me so I put that on there too. It was delicious. Jay worked most of the morning and then we went into town, but I took lots of pictures that need to be sorted, so that post will have to wait for another day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment