Sunday, August 28, 2016

Prague pt. 1 - Vysehrad and stolen honey

I apologize for the long delay. We met up with Oliver and Nina in Germany, and it's been non stop ever since. I had this written up, but haven't had a chance to go through my pictures, so for now, all you get is words, but hopefully it will assure everyone we're still alive and enjoying ourselves. We're in Burgundy now, and I think the coming few days will be a bit more relaxed, so pictures from Prague to follow. 

Our first full day in Prague, Jay took a long lunch, so we decided to walk over to the Vysehrad, which is somewhat removed from the tourism of old town (there were still plenty of tourists, but it wasn't at all crowded). The Vysehrad is an old fort on top of a hill that was first constructed in the 10th century, and has been added on to for many years since. Jay read that it was a great view. We knew that implied there was a hill, but we weren't quite ready for THAT hill. The view was amazing. There was also a little gothic cellar that had been made into a mini museum about the Vysehrad, and the admission was $2 so we went for it. They had artifacts from stone age times, to the construction of the fort, to the 18th century. After that we walked around the graveyard of the Basilica of St. Peter and St. Paul, which is the burial site of many famous Czech's. I swear, you must be required to have an extensive artistic portfolio in order to be permitted to design a memorial in this cemetery, because they were works of art.

After that we went into the Basilica, which was positively stunning (I'm really running out of adjectives here). There were some beautiful carvings, but the best part was that just about every surface was covered in ornate designs and frescoes inspired by Alfred Mucha (Probably the most famous of the Art Nouveau artists, also makes sense when you realize that he was Czech and is, in fact buried in the graveyard behind the basilica). I love Art Nouveau, so I could have sat their and admired the paintings for hours. Also of note, they had a number of reliquaries containing bones from saints, many of them not even labelled, but there was one that was labelled as the shoulder blade of St. Valentine. As Jay said, it's no shriveled head (referring to Drogheda), but it's something.
Some of the frescoes from the Basilica, courtesy of Wikipedia. It was dark, and no flash was permitted, so I thought this was better than one of my shots of the frescoes. These are just a few of them. 
After that we returned to the apartment so Jay could do more work, then we got dressed up and headed down town to wander while we waited for it to be time for our reservation at Alcron, a Michelin star restaurant. We walked along Wenceslas Square and went into a couple of interesting looking stores, but Jay was starting to get bored (we probably could have left the apartment a little later than we did), so we walked in the direction of Old Town and went to see the Astronomical Clock. It's smaller than I thought. I didn't have my camera with me, but Jay and I are going to go back with the camera to get more pictures of old town. Eventually it was close enough to time to go that we walked over to Alcron, we got there early, fully prepared to sit and wait, but they were able to seat us. It's a tiny little restaurant, with only ~8 tables, and all decorated in an Art Nouveau style. With their menu, you have a number of courses to choose from and you can order between 4 and 7 dishes, and you don't need to order them all at once, they allow you to get a few, enjoy them, and then order a few more, which means dinner ended up taking about 4 hours, but it was a wonderful 4 hours. Jay and I also opted to get the wine pairings, so forgive me if I get a little wine nerdy in the following descriptions. Also, I would like to thank Aunt Betsey and Uncle Craig for their generous graduation gift, which made this amazing dinner possible.

They started us off with an amuse bouche which I remember was delicious, but that's pretty much all I remember about it, a bread course which was basically an excuse to try their different compound butters (they even had some toasted gluten free bread for me). The four butters were flavored with chili, sea salt, nori seaweed, and yuzu, and they were all delicious. Jay got to choose a couple of pieces from their bread tray, which had about 12 kinds of bread on it. It was impressive. Then we got our second amuse bouche, which involved a mushroom carpaccio and was, again, delicious. Finally, the sommelier came over to pour the wines for our first course, and I wished I had a pen and paper to take notes. He poured me a Austrian Gruner Veltliner, and as he was describing it, I noticed the other bottle he had in his hand (for Jay) and I guffawed. It was a gewurztraminer. This is really only going to be hilarious to people who drink wine with us on a regular basis (Oliver and Nina) but Jay hates gewurztraminer. He thinks it tastes like soap. However, this was a Czech gewurztraminer, so he gave it a shot. It had all the lovely floral and lychee nose of a typical gewurztraminer (I told you I was gonna get wine nerdy) but it was very dry and lacked the floral notes that make Jay dislike it. He enjoyed it and it ended up pairing really well with the food. For our first course I got (I'm typing this up from the little souvenir menu that I brought home), Marinated Scottish salmon with avocado cream, grapefruit and wasabi marshmallow. Jay got Tuna sashimi with tapioca, daikon, and parsley mayonnaise. These descriptions don't really do anything justice. But it's the best I can give you. When the sommelier brought the second wine pairing around, I guffawed again, I got a delicious rose, but Jay was getting an Alsatian wine. Jay is pretty open-minded in his wine tastes, and is certainly less picky than me, but there are two things destined to make him expect the worst of a wine, the first is that it’s a gewurztraminer, which we already encountered, the second is a wine from Alsace. And God forbid it's an Alsatian Gewurztraminer. This wasn't a Gewurztraminer, thank goodness, but instead of Sylvaner. In Jay's words, it was okay. At a place like that you could probably say "I don't like it" and he'd find something else for us, but Jay and I aren't those kinds of people, so he just enjoyed it with his food. He got a Green pea soup with saffron potatoes and garlic foam that was barred to me due to the presence of cream. I got an Heirloom tomato salad with watermelon, buffalo mozzarella, black olive, and a sun-dried tomato granita. If only ALL salads were like this salad. Once again, the food was delicious. After the first two courses, I no longer have a clear memory of what we were drinking, except that at one point I had a Czech Pinot Gris that was semi-sweet and YUMMY. For the third course Jay and Seabass with cauliflower and squid tagliatelli, which to quote Jay was "weird" (just the tagliatelli, the rest was delicious). I had Pan fried duck foie gras (yes I'm a horrible person, no I don't regret it) with rhubarb, strawberries, hibiscus and ginger foam (and finished with a grating of frozen foie gras at the table). My foie was amazing. After that, I got seared sea scallop with broccoli, quinoa, and pancetta, which was tasty, but couldn't stand up to the previous course for me. Jay had the Slow cooked octopus with a chorizo emulsion, black olive tapenade, and crispy capers. Finally, I had Pigeon breast and leg with sour cherries and cocoa beans, which I forgot to take a picture of until I'd all but licked the plate clean, and Jay had beef filet and shoulder with miso glaze, and a jasmine tea smoked potato puree. None of the desserts on the menu were safe for me, but the waiter suggested and selection of sorbets, which I thought sounded lovely. The tossed together a gorgeous plated dish with three flavors of sorbet, which was the perfect way to end the evening for me. Meanwhile, Jay ordered some ginger tea. When the tea came, it arrived with a tiny jar of Bonne Maman honey. I commented that it was adorable, Jay looked around him, shoved it across the table at me and said "Quick, put it in your purse." And I did. All the while silently laughing so hard that I was shaking and crying. Jay holds that it's what his Bubbie (I am approximating the correct spelling here) would have done and he has no regrets. I informed him that we will be keeping that jar for the rest of our lives as a souvenir. He agreed.

By then it was nearly midnight and we were quite tipsy. We sought out a cab that would take credit cards, made it home and slept wonderfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment